Five Friday Favorites- tips on how to be a trendsetter
Here are five tips for becoming a trendsetter:
1. Do your research: Every good trendsetter does their research before buying a piece of clothing. They try to look for what's going to be hot for the season, and they do it in advanced, so they are the first to find it and wear it in public. Some good places to look for the future trends is on Women's Wear Daily or WGSN, although they require a subscription fee to view articles. A good way to get ahead for free is to follow other fashion bloggers, that way you will get the newest updates for free! Although you may not be the first to read that person's blog, you could be the first in your town.
2. Shop at lesser known brands rather than larger brands: I don't know how many times I've gone into a store like Urban Outfitters or Free People and recognized a certain shirt that I know 12 other people own. Don't get me wrong, I love those stores, but when everyone else goes to the same stores to get the same things, people start to have matching outfits and uniforms. Since starting my blog, I've been able to partner with some lesser known brands, and they have so many cute and trendy styles. Plus, I love knowing the story behind the company when I buy clothes from them. Even if it's just a basic top that I could find at Forever 21, I like knowing that I'm not wearing the same thing as millions of other people who shop there.
3. Weird looks or turning heads is actually a good sign: A part of being a trendsetter in the world of fashion is judgement. There will always be someone that will give you a weird look when your walking on the street or in school, but everyone gets them. Famous designers face criticism on their designs, which will soon become a worldwide trend a year later. The trendsetters of the world will also get weird looks towards their outfits because it's not what everyone else is wearing, but just wait because they will be wearing the same thing come next season!
4. Try something out of your comfort zone: Wearing a piece of clothing out of your comfort zone is because you're not only being a trend setter for others to look up to, but you're expanding your own style too. It will be something to add to your own wardrobe and there's always a possibility that buying that piece of clothing that stands out in your closet could become your favorite outfit. There has been many times where I have tried wearing different styles and they have become my favorite. Specifically, I bought a pair of the fake, clear lenses glasses because I wanted to be apart of that lens trend, and now I end up wearing them at least 3 times a week. Of course, I would have people ask me if they are real or not and then question why I was wearing fake glasses, but then others liked or followed the trend!
5. Comfort: People say that fashion comes at the cost of sacrificing your comfort, which sometimes might be true in the sense of wearing heels instead of the comfy loafers. When it comes to being a trendsetter, you want to make a statement and step out of the ordinary, but you shouldn't sacrifice your comfort. If your wearing something that isn't comfortable, it's going to show because people are more likely to show their confidence when they are comfortable. There have been instances where I try to wear something new, and it just doesn't feel right. Trendsetting is all about trying something new, and if something doesn't look right, you can always find something else!