Top things to do in Puerto Rico
Something I've noticed is that it is hard to find the answer to the question, "What fun activities can I do when traveling to ______?" It is important to know what else there is to do at a place besides the pool and beach, especially if your going with little kids! Puerto Rico is definitely a great place for a relaxing vacation with friends or family, along with a vibrant downtown and other fun activities to do. Here are some things that I did during my time in San Juan and El conquistadors, Puerto Rico:
1. Photo opportunities: These days, it's all about the pictures to put on Instagram (and I know because I'm a little bit obsessed with them). In Old San Juan, there are many picture opportunities along the streets and other places too. There was a very pretty street with lights going from one building to another. Another cool picture idea is doing it in front of a vibrant colored building, which there are plenty of!
2. Fortresses: Along with the scenic attractions Puerto Rico has to offer, you can also add some history behind it. The Forts of San Juan were very interesting to see because usually while in on a vacation, I don't think about the history of the Island and how it came to be today. I liked the forts because it gave me a sense of how a smaller country, like Puerto Rico, could still protect themselves using these forts. They also have a very pretty view of the ocean, especially during sunset (which can be another picture opportunity too).
3. Jewelry stores: There were many cute shops that you can visit in downtown San Juan. They had a lot of jewelry stores, which were handmade jewelry. They ranged from friendship bracelets to diamond earrings and everything in between. These jewelry stores are good places to buy something special for a friend or family member from a different place. They had a lot of shell necklaces, which are basically an essential to any island.
4. Clothing stores: There are also many clothing stores where they sell cover ups, fancy maxi dresses, shorts and tee shirts. I try to buy a dress or another article of clothing that is different from what is being sold in New York City because I like to have a way to remember that vacation (besides pictures) and I also like when people ask me where I got my dress and I can say I got it from Puerto Rico!
5. Restaurants: Food is a very important factor because everyone loves it! You want to be able to have options of places to eat at and not worry eating at the same place every night. One of my favorite places was an Italian restaurant (yes I know that's not very original), but I liked this specific restaurant because of the vibe. They had a live performance every half hour of different people singing vacation-ey music. I thought that was really nice because it made my eating experience more enjoyable. There were also some pretty good Mexican restaurants to eat at too. This one restaurant was very well decorated outside and had amazing burritos.