5 Spring 2019 Trends to Watch Out For from NYFW
As you may have just bought a denim jacket for the fall season, the entire fashion industry is getting ready for the trends for Spring 2019 (they are always a couple steps ahead of us)! With New York Fashion Week just ending, and soon starting up again in London, there are tons of spring trends that everyone's eager to see, including me. So, as you are searching for some sweater and boots for fall, take a look at some of the Spring 2019 trends for New York City according NYFW!
As I have just started my first ever fashion class at Marist, one of our upcoming projects for NYFW is to watch fashion shows and forecast some of the biggest fashion trends for spring 2019! We have to categorize the trends by color, texture and line. So, for this post, I'm going to be sharing some of the most popular NYFW trends within these categories. Let's get started!
1. Mustard Yellow: Mustard yellow has become a huge trend in fall, and it will be continuing in the Spring of 2019 as well! I love this color because it is so easy to wear and it can be pretty bold at times.There's currently a lot of mustard yellow in pants for the fall, which makes the pants the focus of an outfit instead of the top.
2. Blush Pink: This is such a pretty color for the spring time, so I'm happy that it's one of the most popular colors. It will be interesting to see how people will wear this during the day vs evening wear because it's a pretty difficult color to deal with in my opinion. It's brightness and vibrancy will make it pretty hard for anyone to not see you!
3. Rose: We haven't really seen rose red as a big color trend lately, but I am super excited for it to become a popular color! I think it is super elegant and it is a great color to wear to build up your confidence.
4. Sky Blue: Sky blue is also an interesting, but appropriate, color to be trending in the Spring because of it's lightness and breathable quality. Even when it's heavy material, the color itself makes it look lighter than it may actually be. Along with the Blush Pink color, Sky Blue is also going to be a very interesting color to try to pair with other colors because it is so bold and vibrant.
5. Neon Colors: If you haven't guessed from the other four colors, this spring is going to be full of bright and vibrant colors, which means that neon is no exception! We are going to be seeing a lot of neon pinks, yellows and blues. So, at this point, you really don't have an option to not wear vibrant colors because thats what everyone will be wearing to stay on trend!
1. Fringe: I'm not sure how I feel about fringe being a trend, but there are some trends that will hopefully end quicker than they started!
2. Silk: Silk in the spring?! yes please! I'm all for the comfort and beauty of a nice silk dress or top. I can't wait to start wearing silk because it looks so classy and sophisticated when wearing it out. Although when I think of silk, I think of evening wear mostly, you can also wear it during the day to look very business-ey and fancy.
3. Leather: Leather is such a great material to wear out, but I don't think it is good for spring. It is too heavy of a material to wear in the warm weather and it is hard to keep leather in style when you don't want to be too hot.
4. Flowers: Flowers for spring is definitely going to be the biggest one in my opinion, and it should be because flowers go hand in hand with spring time. Across the entire NYFW, the flower pattern showed up in basically every show, which means every designer is thinking that flowers will be thriving in the spring time.
5. Stripes: Are you more of a horizontal or vertical stripe person? Either way, stripes will be in for Spring 2019, so get ready to see them! I'm personally a vertical stripe kind of girl because it makes me look taller rather than wider with horizontal stripes.
1. V-neck: I like V-necks much better than crew necks, so I'm glad that V-necks will be trending in the spring. They allow for more flexibility with accessorizing, which is important in an outfit.
2. Asymmetry: There's something about the asymmetrical details in an outfit that makes you stand out more. Whether it's a one shoulder sleeve, asymmetrical hemline, or any other type of detailing, having an outfit that isn't symmetrical will make you, and your outfit, stand out in a crowd.
3. Straight fit: I don't have much to say about the straight fit. It obviously doesn't really flatter anyone since it shows no shape, but I do love the tee shirt dress style, which involves the straight fit.
4. Knee length hemline: I am not a huge fan of this trend because I think it is meant for more of an older crowd than it is for the younger crowd. I'm more of an above the knee kind of girl for my preferred hemline. I think that ending a skirt at the knee is an awkward place to end a dress because my lower legs are only exposed, and it makes me look shorter.
5. High Collars: The blazer jacket has been a huge trend lately, and with that comes the higher collars! These high necklines aren't only present in the blazer jackets, but they are also rising up in dresses too! This contradicts the v-neck trend, but you can basically wear it anywhere!
If you want to check out more from NYFW, here are some sources I used to find all of the Spring 2019 trends from New York Fashion Week!
Kate Spade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEV4ar7T8p0