Conscious Consumption Challenge Update
If you haven't already read in my previous post, The Conscious Consumption Challenge, I have given up shopping for the entire month of January. This conscious consumption challenge consists of not purchasing any clothes, shoes or accessories. After sixteen days of not being able to shop, I am definitely having shopper's withdrawal. It's very tempting for me to shop, or as I call it snooping, online to see if I'm missing out on anything. Most of the time, I'm not, but I found a few things that I would definitely get if I wasn't participating in the Conscious Consumption Challenge.
Since I was in the city today, there was a lot of temptation when going into my favorite stores. As I was looking around, I saw that there were a lot of sale items that were definitely leftovers from the winter season that no one really wanted and they were just looking to get rid of them fast.
I found the following things in forever 21 that I thought were really cute:
1. Jumpsuit: Although this jumpsuit is strapless, I thought it looked super cool with the detailing of the buttons and the slit in the leg. It would be such a cute going out outfit, if you were going somewhere warm (NOT in New York City). I would pair it with some cool black heels!
2. Plaid Jacket: One of my favorite things about winter is wearing those long winter jackets. This jacket reminds me of something that would be sold in Burberry, along with their famous classic, plaid scarves. I loved how this jacket came with a built in belt, to add some fit to the jacket. It definitely reminds me of a night in New York City, since it has that sort of fun and over-the-top feel to it.
3. Plaid Blazer: In going with the theme of plaid, I saw this blazer that would also look cute too. I've never really worn a blazer and pants set before, but I'd totally be up for it! I think a blazer like this, along with a plaid skirt to match with it would look so cute together. As spring comes around, there will definitely be more plaid in stock.
4. Fishnet Jeans: Going along with last years fishnet-under-the-jeans trend, Forever 21 incorporated the fishnet tight into the jeans! I thought that was a really cool idea and something that I would have totally bought if it was last year or if I wasn't doing this challenge. The only thing I thought was weird was in store, they sold it in regular size, but online they only sell in plus sizes. I'm sure there was some mix up there. I also thought that the material looked more fake online than it did in store.
5. Pom Pom Hat: I thought this pom pom baseball cap was so cute! I had never seen this look really until this fall, where the velvet hat had a pom pom on top of it. It's a super casual and fun look that adds something to an outfit. I would probably wear this hat with a denim jacket, and some type of jogger pants on a Saturday afternoon in the city (I know, super specific). It is one of those looks that I would either be able to pull off, or would look really stupid in!
I found so many things in Urban Outfitters that I loved, but here are the top 5:
1. Velvet Long Sleeve Top: I absolutely loved this velvet top for a night out. The details of the stars looked so cute. I also liked how it wraps in the front. I would wear this on either a fancier day time occasion, like a brunch or an afternoon event, or I would wear it on a night out. I think that the best way to wear this top is to pair it with black or colored jeans or blue jeans. The black jeans would look good for a night out. I think, with the color of the top being silver, that pairing it with a Burgundy red or an army green jean could look cool too! Or just keeping it with a basic skinny blue jean with some heeled boots would look adorable.
2. Beret: As you've seen this season, berets are becoming the hottest hat to wear. They are literally seen everywhere. I had never really worn one before, but I thought I would try it out in the Urban Outfitters store, so I would make sure that I really wanted it before putting it on my list. I thought they looked so cute! The biggest concern about wearing them is the decision of whether you should go bold with the beret or neutral. I decided to try both on to show you guys what I thought was considered bold (the yellow one) vs neutral (the pink one).
3. Mesh long sleeve top: This mesh long sleeve top was something that I fell in love with when I saw it. I loved how sparkly it was and how cool it would look with a velvet top underneath it. I would accessorize this top with either a choker or a long necklace. This top is definitely something that could have been worn for a special event like New Years Eve or a night out with friends.
4. "Love" Necklace: One of my favorite things about Urban Outfitters is the jewelry selection. There are very few places near me that have cute jewelry for a reasonable price, so I always take advantage of Urbans basic jewelry when I visit. I thought this love necklace was something that could easily jazz up a basic outfit. Although I'm more of a silver person, I thought this necklace looked better in gold.
5. Pearl Necklace: Everyone needs a pearl necklace, so if you haven't bought one, just get one at Urban Outfitters! I picked out this necklace because I thought that the simplicity of it could make it easier to layer it with other necklaces. Having the choice of whether to keep it basic by only wearing that necklace, or layering it with other necklaces is a good way to get creative with what you already have and give the customer more of a variety in how they style.