Forecasting the Jean Trends for Fall/Winter 2017
I've written about forecasting color and styles for fall, but what will you see in your jeans?
1. Exposed Knees: We have all seen a good pair of jeans with exposed knees, and they are going to continue. This time, instead of a skinny silhouette, there's going to be more straight leg styles. The exposed knee can range from some small rips to entire leg exposure and everything in between. I'm excited to see this style move forward into my fall wardrobe because I can bring out my fishnet tights. I'm also excited to see how the exposed knee will fit with the other trends like the frilled ankles, wide cropped, flare and detailing in the jean.
2. The Wide Stripe: We've all seen the wonders that the striped jean has done for us this summer, now take that and double it because the wide stripe is going to be HUGE! The wide stripe is going to be found throughout many different areas, offering a subtle uniqueness of the original skinny, straight and flared jean.
3. Altered: The altered jean is all about being unique. Brands are trying to alter the fit, recognizing the customization of the piece with details like shadow patches, twisted seams and covered pockets. The altered jean is really going to allow people to have a way to express themselves through their clothes. The altered style is going to catch the eyes of the trendsetters of the world before the rest, so they have a way to look unique. Then, all these different alterations will trickle down to others when they see how that person they follow on social media wear it.
4. Floral Embroidery: Flowers, flowers, flowers will be all the rage for back to school shopping. Floral embroidery are going to continue to show up everywhere, including jeans. They will be located on the side or sleeve of your clothes. I think that the floral embroidery is a cute and friendly look, but it reminds me a lot of spring and summer more than fall and winter. I can see why it's being incorporated into clothes though, because of the theme of nature that is the fashion theme for this year.
5. Glitz- Meets- Grunge Party Jeans: This fall calls for some spice up of your jeans. You're going to be seeing a lot of ruffled ankles, pearls everywhere and lace, especially on black jeans. This is because they want to try a different approach for fall, the idea of matching glitz with grunge. This is good for a day to evening style because you can add your own look to what you think would fall in between day and night. I really like the glitz meets grunge idea because I'm a huge "black goes with anything" kind of girl, so that means there's only going to be more variations than just the simple black skinny jean in my wardrobe.